All photography provided by Omaha Public Library
Friends of Omaha Public Library is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, grassroots organization dedicated to raising money for Omaha Public Library, providing volunteers, and promoting the library to the greater community.
How We Accomplish Our Mission
Volunteer FOPL members raise funds with used book sales at W. Clarke Swanson Branch. They also raise funds through internet book sales, memberships, and public donations. In 2017, the Friends provided OPL with 8,675 hours of volunteer service and more than $150,00. These funds helped support important programs such as author events, the Virginia Frank Memorial Writing Contest, and Omaha Reads..
What We've Achieved
- Contributed toward purchase of a new website for omahalibrary.org.
- Funded educational opportunities for library staff through Bess Brodkey scholarships.
- Improvements in OPL facilities and security.
- Educational and entertaining library programming for all ages.
- Annual Virginia Frank Memorial Writing Contest for Omaha-area middle school students.
- Library marketing and promotional efforts.
- Participation in library outreach and community events.
- Discretionary funding for OPL branches and director.